- Marine Corps Marathon Healthy Kids Fun Run October 26, 2013
Parents, families and runners were invited to visit Camp Miles, a free all-day activity area featuring interactive challenges and games focusing on health and fitness.
For more information, visit the Marine Corps Marathon website.
- First Annual Let’s Move! DC – Children and Families Health EXPO October 19, 2013
The District of Columbia Office of the State Superintendent of Education (OSSE) and the DC Head Start State Collaboration Office (DC- HSSCO), in partnership with Fit Kids-DC, collaborated to celebrate First Lady Michelle Obama’s Let’s Move! initiative by hosting the first annual Let’s Move! DC – Children and Families Health Expo.
Let’s Move! is leading a nationwide effort to combat childhood obesity and encourage healthy lifestyle choices by empowering families to put their children on the path to a healthy future during their earliest months and years. The initiative aims to inspire children to eat healthy foods and have at least 60 minutes of physical activity per day, whether before, during, or after school. In addition, DCPS is among the first in the nation to have all its schools join the Let’s Move! Active Schools initiative.. All 111 DC public schools have agreed to participate in the program.
- Race for Every Child October 5, 2013
Fit Kids® provided Fun Zones October 5 for the Children’s National Medical Center Race for Every Child, Freedom Plaza DC. This event is a fun way to fund specialized medical care, research, and more.
Here’s a link to a Fox 5 News clip talking about the Race and Fit Kids® participation.
- “Let’s Move with Music at Wolf Trap!” September 28, 2013
Fit Kids® provided Free kids’ Zumba classes AND FUN ZONES for kids of all ages. 11 A.M – 3 P.M.
Wolf Trap National Park for the Performing Arts is conveniently located at 1551 Trap Road/ Vienna, Virginia 22182.
It was a great way to build confidence and self-esteem!
- DC Parent & Family Engagement Summit September 7, 2013
Passport to Excellence was a day-long event designed to empower, inform and inspire parents by providing an update on the implementation of the State Education Plan for promoting successful educational outcomes for their children.
Parents were able to:
- Attend workshops on topic areas such as bullying prevention, understanding the State Report Card, becoming their child’s first teacher and how to use OSSE’s exciting new resource, LearnDC;
- Gain first-hand knowledge on how feedback parents provided last year has been implemented into the State Education Plan; and
- Engage community organizations and providers about programs and resources available for students and families.
- Sports Health & Fitness Expo April 6, 2013
Fit Kids™ participated in the Expo at the Claude Moore Recreation Center in Sterling, VA. Fun, Free Fitness Activities were offered to all attendees.
- NBC4 Health and Fitness Expo March 17, 2013
On March 16th and 17th 2013, Fit Kids™ joined the NBC4 Health and Fitness Expo at the Walter E. Convention Center in Washington DC. Thousands of children ascended the Fit Kids™ Fun Zones over the span of two days! Fit Kids™ offered several activities: Wacky Relays with bouncing hot dogs and ponies, Hula Hoopla, Bean Bag Toss, and Parachute Palooza. Along with the Fitness Zones, Fit Kids™ also emphasized the importance of good nutrition. Children could draw their very own My Plate to take home, and also enjoyed playing a sorting game with various fruits and vegetables.
Fit Kids™ once again partnered with the President’s Council on Fitness, Sports and Nutrition who set up an agility obstacle course filled with agility ladder, hoops, and hurdles.
Fit Kids™ had a memorable experience at the Health & Fitness Expo and hope to take part again next year!